Vancouver time. It was great to meet everyone who could be there! Here is a link the recording -- apologies that I forgot to press 'record' for the first few introductions:
First Screenside Chat Zoom session, Jan 12 '24
As part of the Screenside Chat, we went over the draft instructions and criteria for our major course project, and I really appreciate the good suggestions people made! I will post the revised project description this evening.
Some other topics that came up:
- Although each week of our course starts on Tuesday, several people said that they would like to have the new week's screening, activities and readings posted earlier. I will do my best to post things earlier, on Sunday (preferably) or Monday! And I will post our Week 2 material this evening (Sun Jan 14).
- There was an interest in seeing some examples of successful final projects from the previous time this course was offered, with the first Math Education MEd cohort two years ago. I will email members of that cohort to ask if they would be willing to share -- and also whether they would be willing and able to share their projects to the David F. Robitaille website. I'll let you know when there are some previous projects that you can look at.
- The Saturday 9:30 AM Screenside Chat time is not workable for people in some timezones. Let's find a start time for our other two Screenside Chats that work for all our time zones -- perhaps Saturdays at 3 PM (Vancouver time) -- which would range from 3 - 8 PM across our Canadian and Chilean time zones, and from 7 - 8 AM Sunday in China and Korea, if I have that right? Please let me know if that would work better for you!
- At the moment, I have sent out Blogger invitations to everyone in our class to be co-authors on our class blog here, and each of you are sending co-author invitations to me and to the members of your reading group.
However, it might be nice for everyone to be able to read everyone else's blogs in the class!
It seems that there are two ways to do that, and still keep the blogs private to just our class: (a) We can invite everyone to be co-authors on all our blogs, or (b) we can invite everyone outside our reading group (+ Susan) to be custom readers on our blogs -- and then restrict the blogs to "custom readers only". Both ways would involve inviting everyone and then responding to over 25 emails. The "custom readers" solution might mean one fewer list on the front of our blogs (though, never having tried this approach, I'm not absolutely sure about that!)
Let me know which approach you'd prefer so that we can all read each other's blogs!

Thank you so much for the time zone consideration, Susan! Saturdays around 3pm would definitely work better; I won't be at work or asleep!
ReplyDelete